Monday, February 04, 2008

Jr. High Textbook Characters That Annoy Me #1

I'm sure many of the JETs who teach at a Jr. High at some point, and use the standardized textbooks, like me, loath the them. The English is plain and bland, and teaches students to use set phrases, instead of thinking for themselves. They should take a look at the Japanese textbooks we had in High School. Those were pretty effective.

Anyway, the characters in these textbooks are also cardboard cutouts of stereotypical personalities. I hate some/most of these characters. I'm not sure how many blogs I'm going to have with characters I'm going to bitch about, but since this character makes me so mad I need to vent, this blog is dedicated to her. Her name is Lisa, from The second year junior high English textbook. Shes a good friend of Aki (another character from the textbook), shes 14 years old and was born in New Zealand (Yes, each character has a history). She practices Judo with Aki. Funny how she doesn't have an accent in the tapes when she talks...

Why I hate her: Shes a whiny bitch. For those of you with a textbook, you can follow along in your textbook in Lesson 8-1. For those of you without a textbook I will happily transcribe it below. To set up the scene, Aki and Lisa are on their way to Judo practice.

Aki: Hurry! I think that we're going to be late for practice.
Lisa: I don't think we should practice so early.
Aki: But this is a tradition. You'll get warm soon.
Lisa: My feet won't. Your feet are cold, too, aren't they?
Aki: Of course.
Lisa: Thats not snow is it?
Aki: Yes
Lisa: I can't believe it! Why isn't this tradition in July?

The tradition they're talking about is Setsubun. Which doesn't matter in the context of this blog, but for your information it has something to do with beans and throwing them at someone with a devil mask to bring in good luck. If you want to know more about it check this wiki website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setsubun.

Everybody who's not Japanese but lives in Japan can thank Lisa for depicting Gaijins at complete whiners. She needs a bitchslap... or two. Heck, just hit her until she's knocked out, tie her up and then just ship her off to Sahara so she can get die by dehydration. That'll show her to bitch about cold feet.

No comments: