Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Uh...Sex Ed in a Japanese Elementary School...

I have a really short blog I want to make. I promise it will be shorter than last time. Ok..way shorter.

Anyway, today I was in the photocopier room at the Elementary school, and like every other school in this town, they have a pile of paper, (usually stored in box) that have something printed on one side of the paper, but the back side of the paper can be used for scrap, or whatever. I get pretty interested when I come across these boxes, and I always shuffle through the papers to see what was printed on them. Usually they're extra tests, hand-outs, quizes, homework, etc. that weren't handed out (maybe the teacher made too many of them). It's always interesting to see what kind of things the kids in Japanese schools are learning.

But today's experience was slightly disturbing. So as I'm waiting for my 26 copies of my worksheet to finish, I take a quick peak in the scrap paper box and see this funny looking shape, looking sort of like a stylized "W". The shape peaks my curiosity and I go in for a closer look. What I see is a drawing of a Uterus and the Ovas (I think I forgot my anatomy). And then I think to myself. Why is something like this in an elementary school?

It's hard to believe they teach a topic like that in a Japanese elementary school. If I had been introduced to something like that elementary, I probably wouldn't be able to look at a girl at the age I'm at now. Maybe I was introduced to this in elementary, just to traumatized to remember it. Maybe I'm over reacting. I dunno. But to me, this is WIERD!

No comments: